BLBG Minutes 1860-1869
These are the notes made by Arthur Edwick 1977 of the Baildon Local Board of Guardians for 1860 to 1869 transcribed by Paul Marfell 2009.
Use these links for other periods:-
22 May 1860
Mr Jeremiah Brook was appointed Inspector of Nuisances, Superintendent of Highways, Waterworks Manager and Rate Collector.
5 June 1860
Instructions were to be given to the Bell-Man that Mr Brook would sit in the Board Office on Saturday afternoon for the purpose of receiving such rates as were due and ratepayers in arrears should attend that day.
7 Aug 1860
The Board agreed to purchase six boatloads of limestone for the highways.
18 Sept 1860
Several landowners applied for the riverside footpath from Esholt to Baildon Bridge to be closed. A further meeting of the Board did not approve of this suggestion.
18 Dec 1860
It was agreed that the Town's Lamp be procured from Mr Tomlinson. (Mr Butler's agent) with a view to it being refixed and relighted and the cost of lighting the same to be discussed with The Shipley Gas Company.
5 Feb 1861
A discussion took place regarding the Bradford Rifle Club using the moor, and the danger incurred to the general public, and it was agreed that the Clerk should write to them regarding this matter.
19 Feb 1861
Deputation from the Volunteer Rifle Company met the Board. Captain Farrer and Lt s. Bauhach(?) and Smith explained the precautions being taken. Permission for continued use was agreed but it was understood the Board reserved the right to withdraw consent.
18 March 1862
The Guardians agreed on the type of Water Rate application forms to be issued, and the scales of charges:- Cows 9d, Horses 1s/3d, Carriages 2s/-, (4 wheeled). 1s/3d (2 wheeled)
An agreement was made between The Guardians and Richard Paul Amphlett and his wife Frances of The County of Worcester for the erection of a drinking fountain to be situated in the Village centre. It was in memory of Mr Francis Ferrand, and to be for the benefit of the Public for ever. The Guardians agreed to allow a suitable piece of land “Near the crofs”. Yearly water rent of Five Shillings. Lyceus Barker signed the agreement on behalf of the Guardians.
26 June 1862
Objection by the Guardians were to be sent to the Burial Acts Office, London, regarding the proposed cemetery2 at Firth Wood, on the North Bank of the Aire, near the Turnpike Road.
5 Aug 1862
Legal opinions were to be sought regarding the rights and privileges of the Beck which runs through the village.
14 Nov 1862
It was resolved that the Stocks are now in an inconvenient place in the Village Square and the Board are desirous of placing them in a more suitable place which is situate near the entrance to the Church if the Magistrates have no objection.
20 Jan 1863
It was ordered that a grate be fixed with Boards approval near the Fountain.
19 April 1864
Plans were approved for the building of the Primitive Methodist Chapel in Browgate and the three cottages. (Note PRM - Built 1865. Land donated by Abraham Maude, Lord of the Manor. See Baildon Village Walk.)
10 May 1864
Plans were approved for the Moravian “Building”
Plans were approved for the rebuilding part of Joshua Hardaker's house in Northgate (Moorfield)
26 July 1864
It was agreed that a trough be fixed to the Bobbling Well.
20 Sept 1864
It was agreed that the Chamber of Bedelia Mitchell's house in Westgate be taken for the use of the Board.
20 Dec 1864
Plans approved for John Cockerton's Brewhouse.
24 Jan 1865
A receipt was requested from one: - “Richard Bayledon”
11 July 1865
The proposal to cover the Bobbling Well with a large stone was approved, also approved were the plans for the enlargement of the Christian Brethren Chapel.
1 Aug 1865
Agreed that all cattle straying on the highway be impounded by the Town's Pinder – John Bottomley.
7 Nov 1865
Plans were approved for the conversion of the Old Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bank End) into two cottages. Mr Henry Walker Pearson.
15 May 1866
Mr Michael Lambert's alterations to his Brewhouse were approved.
10 July 1866
The junction of Baildon Road and Otley Road is referred to as “William Gills Corner”.
21 Aug 1866
Raphael Ambler's plans for cottages and tinner's shop approved.
16 Oct 1866
The Board agreed that a request be made to Mr Holden that they be allowed to open the cistern (in his land) that supplies the trough at the bottom of Holden Lane with water. If refused legal proceedings would commence.
20 Nov 1866
Mr Maude and Mr Hubbert requested to fence off two quarries on Baildon Moor.
27 Nov 1866
Agreed that the Lane Spout drainage be examined. Agreed that the Government Plan of the Town was to be ordered from John Dale & Co.
18 Nov 1866
John Hollings & J W Ellison ordered to clear the drain from Lane Spout.
18 Dec 1866
Mr Holden's plan for the diversion of water supply to the Trough was not approved.
22 Dec 1866
Agreed that proceedings be taken against Mr Holden.
22 Jan 1867
Agreed to supply water to Thomas Halliday's Barber's Shop in Northgate. (1s/- per qtr.)
5 Feb 1867
The Guardians agreed to the installation of a Telegraph Wire on Mr Holden's request. This was to be laid from the corner of Mr Holden's property to his Coachman's residence.
23 April 1867
It was ordered that Captain Sepper be requested to close the wood shed on Baildon Moor for the purpose of preventing gambling.
7 May 1867
William Whitaker ordered to remove pigs from the old house belonging to the late William Whitaker, Lane End, which was a nuisance to the neighbours.
4 June 1867
Letter to be sent to Church Wardens about Human Bones being thrown about in the Church Yard.
18 June 1867
The Rev. Mitten & Churchwardens were notified that the Guardians intended to apply to the Inspector of Burial Grounds for a notice of closure in respect of the Churchyard.
2 July 1867
It was decided that Thirty Gas Lamps and posts be fixed in different parts of the village.
23 July 1867
An advertisement in the Bradford Observer inviting tenders for cast iron Lampposts, Copper Lamps and Glazing was agreed upon. The larger lamps were approved of.
6 Aug 1867
Mr John Wooller's (?) tender of 19s/11d each (lampposts) and wrought iron for the posts at 2d3/4f per foot was accepted. James Simpson.
Plans for the Moravian Chapel were approved.
27 Aug 1867
Shipley Gas Co. was to be approached regarding the supply of service pipes to the Town Gas Lamps. Sam Rushforth's tender of 4s/- per lamp for glazing was approved.
15 Oct 1867
The Guardians agreed that Mr Butler be written to regarding his removal of the Gas Lamps from the Cross.
19 Nov 1867
The proposal that the Gas Lamp on the Crofs5 be lit by the Gas Co. and one light (covered) be provided.
2 Dec 1867
It was ordered that Charwomen taking in washing to their homes notify the Board of the names of the people being washed for.
17 Dec 1867
The Guardians decided that the cover over the Beck in Northgate should be replaced.
21 Jan 1868
The installation of a Gas Lamp at the top of Westgate was agreed upon.
24 Jan 1868
The water charge for Butcher's shops were discussed and the following charges agreed upon. 2s/6d per quarter and 1s/6d extra for every person they slaughter animals for.
14 April 1868
Special meeting 14 April 1868. The Guardians discussed a complaint by Mr James Wigglesworth regarding his Gig overturning when it collided with a heap of limestone left in the road near West Lane water trough. Mr Wigglesworth, as a result, was thrown out of his Gig. This had occurred on 26 Nov 1867. Agreed that Solicitors be consulted.
21 April 1868
The Guardians agreed that 5 May would be a suitable date for the supply of gas to the street lamps to be cut off for the summer.
30 May 1868
An application by Mr Weatherhead to mine for water in Penny Thornhill6 was discussed.
19 June 1868
The Guardians decided that their own employees should “drift” into Peny Thornhill to a depth of 9 ft.
3 July 1868
Agreed that pipes from the Shipley Gas Co. be borrowed for the purpose of syphoning water from the bore hole at Penny Thornhill.
7 July 1868
Approval was given for the catchment of a spring of water on Baildon Moor to be collected for public supply.
17 July 1868
A special meeting of the Guardians discussed Mr Stead's proposal for the closing of the footpath through the estate.8 His proposals to allow a road to be made from his lodge gates to proceed towards the Common Land9 was agreed upon10 11.
4 Aug 1868
The “opening up” of the Bobbling Well was agreed upon. Also the Plans of The Baildon Improvement Society were to be considered.
15 Sept 1868
A further twenty gas lamps were to be ordered.
19 Sept 1868
A tender of twenty pounds by Mr Ben Jowett for mining was accepted. (Penny Thornhill). This would not include an Air Shaft, and all wood had to be supplied by Mr Jowett, and at a further special meeting it was agreed that mining should proceed without further delay.
3 Nov 1868
Agreed: Mining at Penny Thornhill to cease and the wood be taken out.
1 Dec 1868
The Board agreed to take the tolls for the Turnpike Road on 1 Nov 1869
17 Aug 1869
The Board agreed to implement the Public House Closing Acts of 1864-5.
7 Sept 1869
Mark Robinson was to be notified that the wheelbarrow containing blood and intestines opposite Jane Jowett's house was to be moved immediately.
The Guardians agreed that the two upper rooms and the two cellar rooms of the Baildon Improvement Society be taken by The Board at a rent of £8-8s-0 per year.
21 Sept 1869
Agreed that gas lamps be lit on Saturday evenings and put out at eleven o'clock when the moon rises.
The Rifle Corps were granted water supply at £1 per year.
2 Nov 1869
Mr Holden was ordered to furnish his plans for the removal of the Watering Trough, and a written agreement be made that the supply of water be continued, and a 4 inch pipe had to be laid across the road to a place appointed to the satisfaction of the Board's agent.
7 Dec 1869
The Watering Trough in Kelcliff to be sold.