Baildon Amenities

From BaildonWiki

Hallcliffe Gardens

When Baildon Church of England First School was on Hallcliffe in the St John's Parish Church Hall it had a tarmac playground on the other side of the road. This playground has now been turned into gardens.

The Hall Cliffe Community Garden is on Hall Cliffe opposite the church hall. It is an attractive landscaped garden open to the public. Please click on this link to access the Hall Cliffe Community Garden Web Site

See the Amenities section of Baildon Maps which will allow you to see the location and get directions.

This community garden site was formerly a disused school playground, which had been derelict for a number of years following the school's closure.

Bordered by residental housing and situated near the centre of Baildon, it is ideally located for local residents, users of surrounding facilities, and visitors to the area. Although the site is owned by Bradford Council the community have secured a 25 year lease for the site from Bradford Council

The project was led by Hall Cliffe Community Garden Ltd, which was set up to facilitate the creation of the Doorstep Green and is comprised entirely of local residents and volunteers.

Following extensive community consultation, the outcome was a design which has transformed the site into a multi-themed community garden, with raised plant beds, tree seating and pergola, scree garden and rockery, walkways, and greater disabled access. Works began on site in March 2004 and were finished in May 2005. The local council, businesses, and residents were very supportive and generous, with donations of not only their time but also materials and resources.

The official opening was in July 2005. Local resident and company secretary Julia Donoghue stated: "I've never been involved in a project like this before. It's been a steep learning curve, but the benefits are enormous. We see the garden as an outdoor meeting space, a place where people can relax, have a chat and get to know others. I've met many new people and I'm sure the garden will become a valuable asset for the community in a village suffering from the continuing madness of urban sprawl."

The final stage of the Hall Cliffe Community Garden construction was completed in early September 2006. The Country Side Agency (Lottery Funded) made a grant of £16000 to cover 90% of the costs to finish off the central area of the garden with part stone flagged paths and tegula setts and slate chip covered beds. The Hall Cliffe Community Garden committee funded the remaining 10%. A celebration day was held in the garden on the afternoon of Saturday September 23rd with live music and face painting for the children.

Shipley Glen Tramway

Shipley Glen Tramway has its own article

Denso Marsden Nature Reserve

The nature reserve has its own entry here - Denso Marston Nature Reserve

Roberts Park

Roberts Park is part of the Saltaire & Roberts Park World Heritage Site and you can read more about it here

Copper Beech Club

Details of the Copper Beech Club, previously Baildon Working Mens Club can be read here.