|Built||1553 and earlier|
|Built by||Robert Baildon|
|Style||Originally 16C Manor House, now modified.|
|Grade II list No.||1199151|
|Open Street Map|
|Other Links||Google Maps|
Baildon Hall is thought to be one of the oldest surviving buildings in Baildon and is believed to have been built towards the end of the 15th century as a timber framed cross wing hall though incorporating a 14th century oak screen with three doorways inserted into a 15th century framework with cross beams and timbers. Around the middle of 17th century it was enclosed in stone. The building is considered to be an outstanding (and rare) example of a medieval Yorkshire manor house. It has been altered over the years but is still worthy of its Grade II* listing designation.
At the time of his marriage in 1649 to Jane Hawksworth, daughter of Sir Richard Hawksworth, Francis Baildon beautified the parlour of Baildon Hall with oak panelling and an ornate plasterwork ceiling and frieze. Ceilings of this type had been popular since Tudor times. The first such plasterers came from Italy, though this ceiling was probably made by London craftsmen. In the design there are birds, acorns, oak leaves, lions, fruit, goats and gargoyle-like heads. Francis's initials can be seen above the fireplace.
There is a legend that Charles I’s nephew, Prince Rupert, slept at the Hall after his defeat at the Battle of Marston Moor near York in 1644.
Baildon, the settlement, and the Baildon family, who built Baildon Hall as their family seat, both took their name from Baildon Hill.
Baildon Hall has been preserved and restored through the efforts of the members of Baildon Hall Club which was set up in 1939. After a meeting in the Liberal Club of several Auxiliary Fire Servicemen the Baildon Social Club was formed and they quite quickly accepted the offer of the use of rooms in Baildon Hall. 
The West Riding Register of Clubs has an entry where the original name of the club is Baildon Auxiliary Fire Service. Within the register is also the Customs and Excise card dated 15 Nov 1939 No 254130 acknowledging receipt of the letter re. Baildon A.F.S Social Club. The entries start on 14 Nov 1939 where the secretaries of the club are listed.
- George King 1939 - 1941 with 75, 90 & 111 members.
- Norman Mead Pearson 1942 and 43 with 147 & 153 members.
- Frank Rodway 1944-45. 160, 150 members
- Steven Ramsey 1946. 140 members
- John Hargreaves 1947. 131 members
- John G Jones 1948. 131 members
- Victor Charlton 1949. 130 members
- Leonard Crabtree 1950-51. 126, 171 members
- Fred Sanderson 1952. 172 members
- Fred Whitely 1953. 178 members
- Frank Burgess 1954-55. 160, 147 members
A letter dated 7 June 1947 is in the register. It was from J. Hargreaves, (21 Hallfield Drive) secretary of Baildon A.F.S. Social Club, Old Hall, Baildon, Yorks. Tel Shipley 1695 stating that at an extraordinary general meeting on the 6 June 1947 it was decided that the club should be called Baildon Hall Club.
On 31 December 1955 the register was transferred from Otley to the Petty Sessional Division of Bingley. 
Civic Parish: Otley. Hundred: Skyrack (Upper Division) County: Yorkshire. Sub district: Baildon Piece: 1314 Book: 3 Folio: 11 Page number: 14
Note that several family entries are all given the same "address" of Baildon Hall with a "do". My thoughts are that these are separate dwellings within the small area around Baildon Hall. It is known that there were cottages near. 
Dwelling: Baildon Hall
Dwelling: Baildon Hall
Dwelling: Baildon Hall
Dwelling: Baildon Hall
|Michael Walker||20||Male||Yorkshire||Agric labourer|
Civic Parish: Otley. Hundred: Skyrack (Upper Division) County: Yorkshire. Sub district: Baildon Piece: 1314 Book: 3 Folio: 11 Page number: 15
Dwelling: Dog Kennel, Baildon Hall
|Thomas Sutton||30||Male||Yorkshire||Stuff weaver|
Dwelling: Baildon Hall
Note that the census record is incorrect in the relationship in this dwelling. If we assume that the head is Mary Clegg 66, as stated, then the relationships of Mary Clegg 41 and her children are incorrect with respect to the head. I have put the correct interpretation in brackets. Alternatively, If James Clegg is the head then Mary Clegg 66 should be listed as Mother.
|Mary Clegg||Head||66||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Widow||Farmer|
|James Clegg||Son||41||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Married||Worsted Spinner|
|Mary Clegg||Wife (Daughter in Law)||43||Female||Middleton, Yorkshire||Married|
|William Clegg||Son (Grandson)||14||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
|Charles Clegg||Son (Grandson)||9||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
|Anniee Clegg||Daughter (Granddaugh)||6||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
|Fred Clegg||Son (Grandson)||4||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Ruth Hardwick||Visitor||41||Female||Middleton, Yorkshire||Single|
Dwelling: Baildon Hall Yard
|John Addyman||Head||40||Male||Hartwith, Yorkshire||Married||Agric Labourer|
|Margaret Addyman||Wife||35||Female||Aldborough, Yorkshire||Married|
|William Addyman||Son||6||Male||Hartwith, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
|Louisa Addyman||Daughter||4||Female||Hartwith, Yorkshire||Single|
|Elsie Addyman||Daughter||2||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single|
|Robert I Addyman||Boarder||25||Male||Wortley, Yorkshire||Single|
|George H Hullah||Boarder||20||Male||Hartwith, Yorkshire||Single||General Labourer|
Dwelling: Baildon Hall Yard
|Thomas Barsky||Head||38||Male||Denton, Yorkshire||Married||Agric Labourer|
|Charlotte Barsky||Wife||31||Female||Catton, Yorkshire||Married|
|Elizabeth Barsky||Daughter||14||Female||Burley, Yorkshire||Single||Worsted Spinner|
|Annie Barsky||Daughter||12||Female||Bingley, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
|Walter Barsky||Son||10||Male||Bingley, Yorkshire||Single||Scholar|
Dwelling: Baildon Hall Yard
|Thomas Myers||Head||62||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Married||Mason Contractor|
|Ann Myers||Wife||54||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Married|
|Joseph Myers||Son||22||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Mason Foreman|
|Lambert Myers||Son||13||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Mason Foreman|
Plus Dwelling: Baildon Hall Yard - uninhabited
|Mary Popplewell||Head||60||Female||Windhill, Yorkshire||Widowed|
|John Popplewell||Son||22||Male||Windhill, Yorkshire||Single||Farmers Son Working On Farm|
|Benjamin Deacon||Brother||58||Male||Windhill, Yorkshire||Single|
|John Weatherhead||Servant||22||Male||Cottingley, Yorkshire||Single||Farm Labourer|
|Thomas Henry Pattinson||Head||60||Male||Tranmere, Cheshire||Married||Watch & Jewellery Repairer|
|Eliza Pattinson||Wife||59||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married|
|Ethel Pattinson||Daughter||25||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Certified Midwife|
|Veda Pattinson||Daughter||22||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire||Single||Typist|
|Marion Lupton||Grandchild||7||Femaile||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Louisa Clark||Wife||34||Female||Bradford, Yorkshire||Married|
|Rene Florence Clark (Irene?)||Daughter||6||Male||Japan (resident)|
|Geoffrey Clark||Son||4||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire|
|Sidney Clark||Son||2||Male||Bradford, Yorkshire|
|Margaret Helson (Nelson?)||Aunt||50||Female||Bradford|
|William Popplewell||Head||30||Male||Castleford, Yorkshire||Married||Farm Labourer On Farm|
|Bertha Popplewell||Wife||28||Female||Greengates, Yorkshire||Married|
|Mary Popplewell||Daughter||4||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Nellie Popplewell||Daughter||2||Female||Baildon, Yorkshire|
|Thomas Clark||Head||48||Male||Baildon, Yorkshire||Grocer Assistant|
|Martha Clark||Wife||55 Female||Shipley, Yorkshire|
Listed Building description. Grade II*
The following text is the listed building description.
Manor house, now social club. C14 screens-passage incorporated into late C15 crosswing encased late C16 with mid C17 hall range with early-mid C19 alterations. Timber-framed crosswing encased by large dressed stone with dressed stone C17 range and stone slate roof. 2½ storeys with cellar. 3-roomed front, hall-and crosswing plan, double-depth under 2-span roof. L-shaped west front has 3-gabled hall range with projecting wing to right. 1st cell, parlour, has two C19 sashed windows with plain stone surrounds. Hall under 2-gables, has 10 x 10 light mullioned-and transomed window with roll and concave moulding, king mullion and round heads to upper lights; 3 lights have been blocked by inserted door. Hoodmould over window. 1st floor has 6 C19 sashed windows. Each gable has cross-window to attic, moulded coping, base for finial, and parapet between gables. Doorway to right at junction with wing, has shallow-arched lintel with spandrels, composite jambs and moulded surround. South wing breaks forward with 4-light deeply-chamfered mullioned window with cavetto mullions. Above, 3-light chamfered mullioned windows. Coped gable with base for finial to apex. Left return of wing projects beyond eaves and has laid-on rainwater head. This indicates the enclosing of the earlier timber-frame. This indicates the enclosing of the earlier timber-frame.
Rear: U-shaped with gabled crosswing to left, gabled hall to centre with large external stack to right, gabled stair tower flush with right wing. Plinth. left wing has 4-light cavetto-moulded mullioned deeply-chamfered window with 4 arched lights and sunken spandrels, 3-light chamfered window above. Coped gable with kneelers and base for finial. Set back, hall has 4 x 4-light double-chamfered mullioned-and transomed window with cross-window above. Large stack projects with moulded cornice and rainwater head. Stair-tower has blocked doorway to left of cross-window with same above. Right wing has 6-light double-chamfered mullioned window set in basement to light cellar. 6 x 6-light mullioned-and-transomed window with former 5 x 5-light window above altered to 2 sashed lights. Cross-window to attic. Paired coped gables with kneelers and bases for finials, set in left-hand return of stair-tower original doorway with Tudor-arched lintel, sunken spandrels, and cyma-moulded surround with broach-and roll stop 2-light window above, corbelled stone gutter. Left-hand return has 2 gables each with tall external stacks, that to rear carried on corbells for 1st-floor fireplace. Set between, cross-window to each floor and rainwater chute set in valley between the 2 coped gables. Right-hand return has 2 lateral stacks reduced in height.
Interior; North wing contains parlour with rear service room and steps down to contemporary cellar. Parlour has fine oak-panelled walls reputedly brought from Hawksworth Hall by Jane Hawksworth at the time of her marriage to Francis Baildon in 1649 (Le Page, P34). It was probably at this time that the richly decorated plaster ceiling and frieze was installed. The frieze has the initials “F B ” and is decorated with vine-leaves, pomegranates and flowers. The ceiling has fruit and foliage motifs with pendants, and ribs arranged in a geometric pattern of squares and circles. The chamber above has late C17 oak panelling with long rectangular panels. The hall has 2 large spine beans and lateral fireplace with moulded jambs and replaced pointed lintel (wooden). Chamber above has Victorian plaster cornice. Opening off the hall, at junction with North Wing, is fine original closed string, framed newel stair with heavy square newels decorated with strap-work and with flame-finials, moulded handrail and finely turned balusters. At junction with hall and south wing is screens passage with pointed-arched doorways (timber) the centre one wider and formerly leading into a passage separating the ground floor of wing into 2 rooms each with fireplaces contemporary with stone encasing. 2 posts either side of screen rise to support king-post trusses. 1st floor of 3 bays. Front bay has closed truss with “A” struts and close-studded wall with fragments of plaster decoration dated 1618. 2-bay rear room has fine open truss with tall king-post and tie-beam with knee braces. Wall plate and close-studded wall at junction with hall-chamber. Transverse cross-beams morticed into posts support the exceptionally heavy 10" x 8" laid-on joists. Eastern gable (rear) has similar closed truss on the inside of gable wall. Roof timbers virtually intact with heavy rafters. The wing would appear to be a floored solar wing, heated by an external stack on the side wall. The single bay chamber with plaster decoration dated 1618 had a fragment, now perished, decorated with the Christian symbol of a fish and thus may have been a chapel originally. The seat of the Baildon family. A house of importance with the rare survival of a late medieval timberframed cross-wing and finely panelled and plastered C17 parlour with a good original staircase. J. Le Page, The Story of Baildon, (1951). RCHM (England) report.
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Friday 06 December 1935 BAILDON HALL TO BE PRESERVED 15th Century Manor Bought by Local Freemasons NEW HEADQUARTERS From Our Correspondent. BAILDON, Thursday Fifteenth century Baildon Hall, the historic house of former lords the manor of Baildon, has been saved from demolition. It is be preserved in nearly its present form as possible. People all over the county, and Baildon residents in particular, will be grateful to Balldon Freemasons for the decision they arrived at during their meeting to-night, at the close of which Mr. Fred Woodcock, member the Lodge, made this announcement. He stated that the whole matter had been settled, and the Freemasons had obtained possession of the mansion and as much the property as suited their purpose, including the large enclosed garden behind. "Naturally," he said. "things are in a state of flux at present, but we do not intend to spoil anything, although we find we have any requirements, the hall will he adapted to suit our purpose." Ultimately, no doubt, it will become the centre Freemasonry in Baildon. Mr. W. Hill, another Freemason, who in his capacity as chairman of Baildon Urban Council, unsuccessfully attempted to raise sufficient money by public subscription to save the hall is delighted at the success of this eleventh-hour move. The estate had passed into the possession of a local firm of builders, whose intention was to use the land for housing development. Their announcement a short time ago that they would welcome any reasonable offer for the purchase of the hall by a local society with a view conversion into headquarters, is no doubt directly resonsible for the hall being saved. Baildon Hall is of rare historical interest, for it contains a wealth old panelling and rich carving. When the property came into the market after the death of Colonel W W Maude, the last Lord of the Manor, efforts were made by the Baildon Council to acquire it for their use as public offices or as a museum, but their negotiations with the trustees failed, it is understood, on the ground of price.
- The Story of Baildon - John La Page
- Baildon Hall - A History of a Yorkshire Manor. Barbara Boyes
- West Riding Register of Clubs within the Petty Sessional Division of Otley. 1939-1955
- National Heritage List For England. List entry Number: 1199151