|Open Street Map|
|Other Links||Google Maps|
The Cross Keys was one of the original 18th century alehouses of Baildon. The building, 12 Northgate, that no longer exists, was originally the property of William Thompson of Kirk Hammerton, Lord of The Manor. John Holmes was his tenant in 1794, and he purchased it, together with several plots of land, in 1797. His son Benjamin inherited the property, but died ten years later. The previously mentioned John Holmes died in 1826. In 1838 the license is shown in the name of Richard Holmes, son of Benjamin. The building ceased to be an Ale House in 1850 and became the property of James Steel a famous Baildon Doctor. The area became known as Doctor Fold. The are was demolished in order to create The Grove.
Manor Courts were held at the Cross Keys in 1820, 1824 and 1828
- Parsons Yorkshire Directory 1823 mention five Inns at Baildon. The Angel, Bay Horse, Cross Keys, Malt Shovel & Roebuck.
- All five are also mentioned in the Edward Baines Directory of Yorkshire 1822. Vol1, where John Holmes is listed as the victualler of the Cross Keys.
- Whites Directory 1861 omits the Cross Keys but adds The Fleece and the Shoulder of Mutton.
Piece 1314 Book 3 Folio 23 Page 13
|Benjamin Holmes||10 months||Male||Yorks|
Benjamin is described later as being interested in the butchery business after the Cross Keys was left to him by Richard. Page 100 Was the Cross Keys also a butchers? The next house on from here has Stephen Hudson as head. Hannah Hudson is 10 years old but listed here as a Nurse.
- The Story of Baildon. John La Page
- Edward Baines Directory of Yorkshire 1822