The road west from the roundabout in the centre of Baildon heading to Westfield Terrace, Tentercroft and West Lane.
This is an old photo of The Bull's Head. Note that it has a building on its left that is no longer there. This does explain, sort of, why the sign on the side of The Bull's Head is the shape it is. It is not necessary for it to be that shape but it is a nod to the past.
This photo looking down Westgate to Towngate was taken around 1900. Of the visible buildings the only one that still exists is the one on the left with the woman on the doorstep. Some of the buildings where we can only see the roof or chimneys may still exist. E.g. the roof and chimneys on the left belong to The Angel Hotel that still exists. The majority of the demolition occurred in the 1960s when Towngate was cleared.
Looking down Westgate to Towngate in 1960. I like the "L" plate on the dumper truck. On the left the canopy is over J Beardsworth's, a grocery store.
The white buildings in the background have been demolished and replaced with a building that has been Halifax Building Society, Your Move estate agents and other businesses. The building connected to them on the right still exists and is Baildon Club (2018).
Note the archway on the right and compare this with other photos of that area. In 1943 the archway led to the Pearl Laundry. The 1911 census lists residents at 1 & 3 Co-op Fold and the sequence of listing suggests that they are where the archway is. The archway was filled in and a shop made in the space some time in the early 1960s. To the right of the archway is the drapery section of the Windhill Co-operative Society that also sold shoes. On the left of the archway and going around the corner onto Browgate is the Co-op's food department.
Info. from Diane West via facebook 2018 - I remember Beardworths really well as my grandma Lorna Poole worked there. Loved watching her and Edna ? cutting up and weighing out butter and cheese. Mr and Mrs Beardsworth worked there along with Willy Lupton and Stanley ? Who used to deliver the orders in his van for 6d. Further down on the corner there was Jefferson's electrical shop that became the flying saucer then later Emma's and now the Gents Quarter.
This photo is early 1960s. The buildings on Towngate are still there but the cross, stocks and Potted Meat stick have gone and the archway of the right has been filled in. The Westgate1960 photo shows the archway. It also looks as though the building to the left of The Bull's Head has gone but it may just be set back enough to not be visible.
Info from Susan Hibbert via facebook 2018 - The 3 wheeler car parked in the picture belonged to Bellamy Robinson who lived up Collier Lane, He parked there and then from the bakery opposite they would bring his order out to him.
Info from Kath Smith via facebook 2018 - Could the blinds pulled down be over what became George Moore Gents outfitters? He was originally on the right hand side but when business prospered he moved across the road to obtain a bigger premise. I do know that in 1972 the shop on the right was a furniture shop called Robinson’s. I know because my mother bought a three piece suite from him in 1972.
Info from Dorothea Jessop via facebook 2018 - You are right Kate about Moore's outfitters, and wasn't there Coopers shoe shop next door? Further down there was Barracloughs pop place and at the bottom what became Beardsworths and on the corner Halliday's ironmongers.
History of West Grove
One of the side roads off Westgate is West Grove towards the top left. Arthur Edwick has written a short History of West Grove that has been put into a small booklet.
Westgate Building usage
North side. Odd numbers.
- Gents Quarter. 2013(photo), 2018 (photo).
- Nov 2018. No. 3 split again. Now Emma's.
- Aug 2018 Gent's Quarter now 1 & 3 Westgate.
- Flying Saucer.
- Halliday's Ironmonger
- Hairdressers. George Halliday (48). Hairdresser with son Fred (19). Dwelling House & Shop. 1911
- Nov 2018. Emma's Florist.
- Darling & Bloom. 2018 (photo)
- Closed 2018 and taken over by Gent's Quarter. Walk-in haircuts. Appointments at No. 1.
- Emma's. 2013 (photo)
- M B Jefferson's. Electrical Contractor. Television Radio sales. Washers. Refrigerators. Vacuum Cleaner. Ads: 1957, '58, '59. 1964.
- E. Halliday. House Furnisher. 3 & 5 Westgate
- Grocer's. Lavinia Bell (69). Grocers. (Provision Merchant) Dwelling House & Shop 1911
We have a shortage of buildings here. Perhaps the 1911 numbering started with building that no longer exist. Several photos of the bottom corner of Westgate taken around the 1920s show that several buildings were demolished at that time. In the 1960s several more buildings in the vicinity were demolished but they were more on Towngate/Northgate.
- 2009. £95,000
- E. Halliday. House Furnishers. 3 & 5 Westgate
- Dwelling House. Wright Howker (32) + family. 1911
- Verona, pizza etc. 2018
- Post Office & stationers 2013 (photo)
- The Post Office closed temporarily in Aug-Sept 2013 for a short while due to its counters being too narrow for new regulations. It was allowed to re-open. Had been in business for 30 years.
- See 7 Westgate for combined 7 & 7a as J Beardsworth
- taste, pizza etc. 2013 (photo),2018
- Baildon village Chinese Takeaway (Media:BaildonVillageChineseTakeaway2002.JPG|photo)
- 2002 £135,000
- J Beardsworth, grocery store. 1960s. Before split into 7 & 7a
- The building had a timber canopy coming out over the pavement as shown in this photo.
- M Lynn. Radio service expert. Ads: 1935
- Butcher. T. Rhodes & Son. 1929- 
- Also 4 Browgate
- Tel Shipley 1199
- Butcher's. Miles & Emily Rhodes. (41 & 44)). Dwelling House & Shop 1911
- Freddie's. Pub. Jazz & Blues club. July 2020 - . (photo 2021)
- The Mill 2018 (photo)
- Paolo Dunnachie. Manager 2018
- Pub for sale Dec 2018.
- Westgate 2018 (photo)
- Opening night 8 Dec 2017. Manager Kristian Knowd
- Jerimiah's 2013 (photo)
- Ronnies Bar. 2012 
- Suburban Style Bar 2005 (photo)
- Kirby's Bar & Bistro 2002 (photo)
- JCs. 1993
- John Cordingley
- Zorba's Greek Restaurant
- Dibby's Bar & Bistro. 1986
- Simon Dibb
- Simon sold it to Sam Hashimi sometime in the 80s just before New Year.
- Sam Hashimi was linked to Sheffield United football club.
- The Old Mill
- Ann & John Rhodes
- Dawn Jankowicz - I worked in the kitchen with Nigel in 1984 when it was owned by Ann & John Rhodes. It was called The Old Mill. A chap called Geoff ran the downstairs bar, & there was a great barmaid called Julie. I progressed to a waitress!! In 1985 it was taken over by Simon & Madeleine Dibb. I remember Joanne as a little girl. Their chef was called Martin & his girlfriend Helena was chief waitress, a lovely Scottish lady. It was a buzzing brilliant place to work. We had a lot of fun!
- O'Donnel's Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Gordon converted it from Pop factory to bar/restaurant and opened in 1983.
- Gordon owned the Salad Bowl, 6 Northgate prior to taking on the mill as O'Donnel's
- German lad called Clause was the chef when it first opened.
- Gordon had the bar downstairs
- M Barraclough. Pop factory.
- Mineral Water Factory 1911
- nine 2013 (photo), 2018
- Westgate Cafe (photo) 2002
- Private School & Dwelling House. Johnson Crapper Foster - Head of household (Coal Merchant). Ethel Overton Crapper Foster - daught. School Mistress. Dorothy Isabel Foster - daught. School assist. Ellen Guy - servant. School Maid. 1911
9a Westgate Part Westgate House
- Assembly Marketing, 2018
- The Courtyard, Health & Beauty. 2013 (photo)
- House of Interior. Furniture & Accesories. 2020- . (photo 2021)
- Age UK. 2013 (photo), 2018
- Travel Agent. Baildon Travel
- Horsforth Home Interiors
- George Moore. Gents outfitter.
- Raymond D White Radio & Elect Eng. Pye Radio. Ads: 1936
- Cooper's Shoe shop.
- Dwelling House. Miles Alderson. (Mineral Water Manufacturer) 1911
- Jay Beez. 2013 (photo), 2018
- 2003 £145,000
- 2000 £80,000
- R. G. POOLE, Ltd. Radio and Electrical Goods. Rentals. Also 24/26 Westgate, Shipley. Ads: 1946, '48, '49, '51.
- Dwelling House. Joseph Lupton. 1911
15 Westgate - oldest building on this side of Westgate
- Rupali Restaurant. 2002 (photo) 2002 2013 (photo), 2018
- 2002. £105,000
- Albert Hanson. Grocers. Ads: 1940
- Dwelling House. Mary Barnett 1911
- Binns House. Built by John Binns. Gave name to Binnswell Fold. C18. 
- Dwelling House. William Halliday (Coal Merchant) 1911
- Post Office. Joseph Allen - photographer. C19. After Joseph > Tottie Foster
17 & 19 Westgate
- Gilly's Barbers. Opened end 2018. (photo)
- Mirror Mirror, beauty salon 2013 (photo), 2018
- Tiny Tots ? - ?
- S Dyson. Plumbing & Sanitory Eng. Ads: 1951, '53
- Dwelling House. 21 Westgate. John William Craven 1911
- Site of George Taylor's grocer's shop.
21 & 23 Westgate
- Maxwells estate agent. 2013, 2018
- 21a. 2004. £86,000
- Westgate Stores 2013, 2018
- Urban District Council Offices. Surveyors Offices. 1911
- Was used by Baildon Board of Guardians and Baildon Urban District Council for meetings before BUDC bought Town Hall on Rushcroft Terrace.
- Before this it was farm land and out buildings.
- NuMi Aesthetics. 2018
- Baildon Village Physiotherapy. 2013 (photo). Moved to 3 The Grove.
- Abm. Halliday & Son. Joiners & Undertakers.
- Dwelling House. Mark Robinson (Butcher) 1911
- Wilson Solicitors. 2013 (photo), 2018.
- Chivers, Walsh, Smith and Irvine & Co. Solicitors. 2002.
- Dwelling House. Hartley Lancaster (Warpdresser) 1911
- Blacksmiths. Thomas Ellinson.
- Dwelling House. William Ellis (House builder & contractor) Sons Willie & Jack (Stone Masons) + daughter Martha 1911
- Stationers. John Brook. 
- George Fawcett. Prop: S Hogg. Joiner, Builder & Undertaker. 1929.
- "Funerals completely furnished"
- Dwelling House. Sarah Dodsworth 1911
- Wheelwright's shop. Holmes Oddy. Site of 33A Westgate.
- Bagpuss 2002, 2013 (photo),2018
- Baildon Musical Services, tuition, repaire.2002
- M B Jefferson. "Anybody can Doctor but it requires skilled & qualified assistants to repair your radio or electrical apparatus." Ads: 1948, '49
- Betty Gibson (Successor to Florence) Formerly with A P Fasnacht. Permanent waving. (Ladies Hairdresser?) Ads: 1936
- Dwelling House. William Waddington (Stone Mason) 1911
- T Clark. Boot repairer. New range of clogs. Ads: 1936 
South side. Even numbers.
In C19 building for Samuel Rennard;s farm stood in the place now occupied by the lower numbers on this side of Westgate up to the Bull's Head. The farm buildings were sold to Baildon Co-operative Society in avout 1874
- Morgan Wells, Accountant. 2018
- Bloosy Boutique. 2020- .
- Jonathan's. 2018 - 22 June 2019
- Jowett's Butcher. 2013
- Jowett's was originally further up Westgate ?34.
- The space at 2a is limited so Jowett continued to use the ground floor of 34 Westgate for cold storage.
- This part of Westgate was an archway until the early 1960s. It was then filled in and the shop created.
- See the archway on right hand side of the 1960 photo
- The archway led through to the rear of Heather House for access to Doctor's surgery and earlier to Pearl Laundry. 1943
- Possibly the way through to 1 & 3 Co-op Fold. Assumption made due to the sequencing of properties in the 1911 census
- Baildon Chiropody 2013
- Baildon Travel. Opened May 1984.
- Windhill Co-operative Society. Pre split into 4 & 4a. 1960.
- Private House. William Frederick Tyler. 1911
- Halo, Hairdressing, 2018
- Hudson & Scott. 2013
The 1911 census has Private Houses 1 & 3 Co-op Fold accessed between 4 Westgate and Bull's Head
Bull's Head Inn See this page for more details of The Bulls Head
- Dacre Son & Hartley, estate agents. 2013 (photo), 2018.
- Robinson's Furniture Shop. The House Furnishers. Ads: 1956. Gilbert Robinson. Told local folk motorbike stories, often about his son Dudley who raced them.
- Warden's Headquarters. There are several references in 1943 & '44 of this being at 8 Westgate.
- T Gelder & Son. Painters, Carpenters, Joiners & Undertakers. 1936 (Feb)
- Bakers & Confectioners. Harry Carter with Ellen Carter, wife, and Clara Carter, sister, assisting in the business. 1911
- Miss Carter - agent collecting laundry for Broomfield Steam Laundry, Idle. 1908. (Clara Carter as mentioned in the 1911 census?)
- Occupied by Sturdy, managed the Ambler family. C19 Sturdy House.
- Behind was Jack Ellis Fold and the mangle of hard working Mrs Robinson.
- Curves 2013 (photo), 2018
- Poultry Dealer. 10 & 12 Westgate. William Anderton. Son - Fawcett Anderton, Butcher. Business run from home. 1911
- Ronkowski & Hall, accountant. 2002, 2013 (photo), 2018
- Tippler's Wineshop. Ronnie Bennett and Gavin Oliver (former Bradford City footballer) c1990s.
- George Moore. Sold dresses then moved across Westgate. Gents outfitters.
- Heathers. 12 & 28 Westgate. (Prop Bert Moore) Ladies, Gents & Youths outfitters. Ads: 1956
- AJs Hair Salon 2013 (photo, 2018
- 2003, £50,000
- 14-16 Westgate. Wm Gelder, Painter & Decorator. 1964
- Dulux, Valspar, Duradio, Robbialac, Pammel, Brolac
- Sweet shop & small wares. Ann Wray. 1911 
- 2003, £40,000
- 14-16 Westgate. Wm Gelder, Painter & Decorator. Ads: 1956, '59. 1964.
- C19 Ann Wray toffee shop.
- Refronted and extended.
West Grove. AKA Wilk's Fold C19.
- 2 West Grove - Wilk's & Son, Plasterer. C19.
- Current owner (2018) has painted sign for Wilk's on the side of the house
- Heading into West Grove the garden wall on the right has a hole for a bearing and shaft that turned a paddle to stir the plaster in a pit.
- Wildman Computers and Beat It Music. 2002, 2013 (photo), 2018
- E H & A Sugden, Bakers & Confectioners. (1929)
- Fish & Fruit Dealer. Fred Leeming. Business run from home. 1911.
- Woodheads Property Management. 2020- . (photo 2021)
- G Cullingford, butcher. From 1987. 2013 photo, 2018
- E Leadbeater, butcher. (1929. 1931.)
- Plumber. Otto Robinson. Business run from home. 1911.
- Jim Boocock, grocer. C19
- Baildon Cards & Gifts 2013 (photo), 2018
- Desmond Jackson Funeral Director. 2018
- Idiom. 2013 (photo)
22a, Unit 2, Westgate
- Somesun. 2013 (photo), 2018
- Private House. Richard Wilson. Laundry Van Man 1911.
Old Hall Westgate
See this page for more details of Baildon Old Hall
Old Hall Works?
- Frank Dean. Cabinet maker. Upholsterer. Ads: 1946, '47, '48, '49
- Beaumont's Knitting Centre
- Fawcett & Halliday. Joiners. Undertakers. Upholsterer. Ads: 1909
- 2006. £173,000 26 Jul 
- 1999. £59,999 5 Oct 
- Private House. Harry Rhodes. Plasterer's Labourer. 1911
- Hot Dogs grooming. Moved from the closed Baildon Club building. 2020- . (photo 2021)
- Sold Sept 2020. £125,000 Sales Brochure
- Beauty Parlour. 2020, V Beauty Salon. Moved to La Vida, Organia house, Guiseley.
- Florist. Flower Boutique. Eric & Sheila Jones. Facebook comments about flowers being provided for events in 1969, 1971, 1977.
- George Moore. Gent's outfitters. Moved lower down Westgate.
- Heathers. 12 & 28 Westgate. (Prop Bert Moore) Ladies, Gents & Youths outfitters. Ads: 1956
- H Lancaster. Corner Shop. Groceries & Provisions of the Finest Quality. 1931.Son Richard Lancaster carried on the business before moving to Morecombe.
- Built 1890
- PCTech. Computer build & repair. 2002.
- Converted to residential. Owned by Jowett family, 2019.
- Jowett's cold storage for his butcher's shop at 2a Westgate. (And earlier Jowett, Browgate butchers?)
- Jowett's Butchers. Fire Wed 10th Aug 1955 - reported in Shipley Times & Express newspaper on 17th August 1955
- Duet, hair salon. 2013, 2018.
- Malcolm Leyland
- Dorithea Jessop via facebook. 2018. (Coopers shoe shop next to Outfitters?)
- 1911 Census & Summary
- Shipley Times & Express
- 1964 Baildon Urban District Council Guide
- 1931 Baildon Carnival Handbook
- Land Registry
- Chris Tate, Telegraph & Argus. 7 Sept 2013.
- 1929 Baildon Hospital & Charities Week Handbook
- Ernest Wilson & Rightmove - BAR, BISTRO & LETTING ROOMS in West Yorkshire for Sale
- Ellie Lianna Cunningham via facebook 2018
- via facebook 2018
- Janet Finney via facebook 2018
- Shipley Times & Express. Page 8, 1 Feb 1930. Late Mr. H Taylor
- The Story of Baildon, John La Page
- 2002 Baildon Community Council Handbook
- Advert in 1930 Baildon Hosp Fund Programme
- Tony Brigg & Carol Ann Jennings facebook.
- Jean Calvert via facebook. 2018
- Susan Hibbert via facebook. 2018 (Her mum cleaned there)
- See G Cullingford
- Zoopla website
- Realla Estate Agent website.
- Barbara Jowett & Margaret Paver (nee Jowett) - correction that address is 32 Westgate & confirm fire. Had been listed as 34.
- Newspaper cutting. 17 Aug 1955. - scan