This page will give some details of particular Baildon areas.
Areas with their own pages
These areas of Baildon have their own pages.
- Baildon Centre
- Towngate the area around the Potted Meat Stick and the Cross and Stocks.
- Browgate is the road heading south from the Towngate roundabout to Baildon Road and to Shipley.
- Manor Fold was off the bottom of Hallcliffe. I include Manor Croft and Fountain Fold
- Westgate the road West from the Towngate roundabout towards West Lane. Photos
- Northgate the road from Towngate to Baildon Moor.
- Baildon Moor
Shops and houses at the junction of Browgate, Baildon Road, Station Road and Cliffe Avenue/
- A. E. T. & K. M. Knowles. Chiropody, Swedish Massage. Ads 1954. 1955. 1959. Previously The Staithes. Ads 1951.
3 Threshfield Terrace
- 1959. William A Thomson. Painter & Decorator.
4 The Staithes
- Baildon Fisheries. 2018.
- White House Pizza. 2013
- Threshfield Bakery Ltd. 1964. 
- This is the bakery on the corner of Cliffe Ave
- Home-made bread & confectionery. Freshly made on the premises.
Cliffe Ave. Threshfield
- J Llewellyn. Shoe repairs. Ad 1934. 
To the right of Threshfield Bakery in 1960s?
- Cordingleys off licence
- Chaplins green grocers
Ruby Broadley had a baby clothes shop at the end of Cliffe Avenue
1 Station Road
- Murgatroyd's Confectioners. 1932-? Ads 1939 & 1957. 1964.
- Also 52 Otley Road
- Charlie's Confectioner's & Chocolatier - photo below.
93 Baildon Road
- Post Office
- Post Office for sale. Dec 2018.
MAINS POST OFFICE AND CONVENIENCE STORE in Shipley for Sale.
Super opportunity to acquire this very popular Mains Post Office which occupies a highly prominent position in this much sought after village (they have a full bureau for currency). The business is being sold for genuine reasons and is accordingly priced to sell – VIEWING IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HERE as the shop fit out is excellent and the retail turnover could be so much higher with an able and enthusiastic owner at the helm. The premises are held on a secure lease and offers huge potential to do so much more. This is a substantial detached property with a highly prominent frontage and easy on street parking. Internally is a large and superbly fitted retail shop with three position Post Office counter to the rear. Store room / staff room and WC. To the first floor is a generously proportioned six bedroom flat which could be sub let to return £600 per calendar month. Enclosed split level gardens.
- Ronnie's Post Office
- Kettlewell Post Office - photo below.
Shipley Times and Express - Wednesday 18 August 1943. Advert saying you can buy the STE from Kettlewell, Station Road Post Office.
An advert from Shipley Times and Express - Wednesday 14 January 1959
It’s Service with a Smile AND THANK YOU FOR THE VISITS YOU HAVE PAID US DURING THE PAST 365 DAYS. From Alan Lightowler, his Wife and Staff at Station Road Post Office, Baildon
The main A6038 road through the Charlestown area of Baildon by the river Aire. On the East side of the road are many of the larger businesses of Baildon though several of them are being demolished and smaller businesses and housing built. The Butterfield's estate is one such.
44 to 56 Otley Road are North of the junction of Woodcot Avenue and Otley Road in the direction of Midland Road.
44 Otley Rd
- Barbershop. March 2020 - . Glen's Place.
- Stylistics. 2009. 2012. 2015. 2016. 2018.
- Arthur Hague. Ladies Hairdresser Ads: 1953. 1956.
46 Otley Rd
- The Cafe Break. 2012. 2015. 2016. 2018. 2021
- Da Nuna. All day full breakfast. Panini. Ciabatta. Pasts. Pizza. 2009.
48 Otley Rd
- Hope's News & Off Licence
- Mace. 2015. 2016. 2018
- Hope's News & Off Licence. 2009. 2012
- N Bolton. Ferniehurst Newsagency & Lending Library 1954, '56
50 Otley Rd
2021. A Post Box is still outside this property.
- M.B. Trading Discount Tools. Prop: Mike Bell. 2009. 2012. 2016. 2018. 2021
- Woodbottom Post Office. Prop: Kenneth Earl and his wife Eileen. 1987 - 2004. Tong Park Post Office, St James Place, also scheduled for closure 2004.
52 Otley Rd
- Happy House Chinese Takeaway. 1997-
- Murgatroyd Confectioners Ltd. 1932-? Ads. 1939. 1957.1964.
- Also Station Rd.<See talk>
54 Otley Rd
- The Hair Lounge. 2012. 2016. 2018
- Candlelite flowers. 2009.
- Janet's Flowers. Prop: Janet Thomas. 2004.
56 Otley Rd
- Crusty's Takeaway. Hot & Cold Sandwiches. 2009. 2012. 2016. 2018
Denso Marston Ltd, Otley Road. 2002.
Tong Park Hall and Lodge - Built by Denby family. Children's Home and Remand Home in its later years..
An area of Baildon near Otley Road below Holins Hill
24 St James Place was for many years Tong Park Post Office.
- 1956. F. ROBINSON & SONS (Baildon) Ltd. (J. L. & E M Whitwam. directors) St James Place. Otley Road. Baildon. UNDERTAKERS Joiners, General Woodworkers and Property Repairs. Day or Night. ’Phone 51142.
Hollins Hill Garage
- Hollins Hill Cars, Otley Rd. Tel:531302. 2002
- Sharp & Griffiths, 1920-? Ads 1938, the largest covered petrol station in the North. 1949. 1956. 1957. 1958. 1959. 1972.
Sharp & Griffiths
The following is taken from Baildon Urban District Council Guide which I think was dated 1972:-
B. R. Sharp and H. O. Griffiths founded the firm of Sharp & Griffiths Ltd in 1919 and claim to be the first motor engineers in Baildon. Trading began in a small stable opposite to "The Shoulder of Mutton", repairing cars during the day and hauling with a wagon which had an interchangeable body for taking coach parties out in the evenings and also probably running one of the first taxi services in the town.
In 1920 premises were erected on the present site in the form of an old Army hut and in late 1920's the present building was erected, being added to over the years. The firm now carries on business together with their subsidiary company - Sharp & Griffiths (Transport) Ltd. - as motor engineers, with 100 per cent Rootes agency and haulage contractors mainly serving the Bradford wool industry.
This area is mentioned in several of the Baildon Heritage Trails
The area of Baildon from Baildon Bridge to the rail viaduct over Otley Road. Read more here.
Old Baildonians refer to Baildon Green as Gander Land because of the large number of geese kept there. Several residents around the green have grazing rights.
Baildon Green Mills
- Baildon Green Autos. 2002 
The area often referred to as Shipley Glen should properly be known as Bracken Hall Green. The glen is the area below Bracken Hall Green with Loadpit Beck running at the bottom of it. This area has several standing stones and a circle of stones was partly removed when the road was widened. This area and adjacent Baildon Moor have several cup and ring stones.
Milner Field was originally the home of Titus Salt junior and his wife Catherine (nee Crossley)
Milner Field was built in 1the 1870s and replaced a seventeenth century house of the same name. 'It is a self-contained..modern structure with large Conservatory (containing semi-tropical plants and exotics', Winter Gardens, Greenhouses, well-stocked Gardens,..Lodges, Woodlands..Lake etc.' The interior of the Mansion was panelled in oak, teakwood, mahogany chestnut and cedarwood.
There were two royal visits to Milner Field. The Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra in 1882 and Princess Beatrice and Prince Henry of Battenberg in 1887.
Titus Salt junior died in 1887; his widow remained at Milner Field until 1903 when she sold the estate to Sir James Roberts who lived there until he retired and moved to Scotland. Mr Ernest Gates was the next occupier; unfortunately he died in 1924 and Mr Hollins moved into Milner Field. After his death in 1929 the house was put up for sale but there were no offers for it; the house was eventually demolished in the 1950s.
- Shipley Times & Express advert
- Baildon Urban District Council Official Guide. 1964.
- David Weatherall, facebook 2018
- Was 1932 the start of business at 52 Otley Road or 1 Station Rd. or both. Or even elsewhere in Baildon.
- rightmove and Ernest Wilson
- T & A - My post office is no longer viable and Anger as five post offices face closure
- T & A - My post office is no longer viable
- Baildon Community Council Handbook. 2002.
- Baildon Urban District Council Guide. 1972(?)
- A Edwick notes.